Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Whine whine whine

In BSF this week we studied about the Israelites and their grumbling in the desert about how all they ever got to eat was manna and, oh, didn't they have it great back in Egypt where there was meat and free fish and cucumbers and making billions of bricks out of straw and death edicts on their newborn sons. Why is it that it is so easy to complain? I was really convicted about how I complain about how loooong my days are with my two healthy and well-fed children, in my two-story four bedroom house, while my husband is at his stable and secure job. Poor poor me.

The complaining extends to the next generation as well. Frankie was playing with the brand-new play restaurant diner we "bought for Molly" for her birthday and she knocked over a plastic coffee cup which was devoid of even pretend coffee. She literally sank to her knees and began keening "WHY do bad things always happen to ME? WHY?." Yikes. There's a dramatic reminder of some work on a grateful attitude that needs to be done in this household.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

We are all the Whining Israelites, aren't we! My girls are full of that DRAMA as well. Do you think they get that from me? Sweet Frankie, better days are coming ; )

Molly said...

Oh, that is funny. You make a very good point, though.

Fr Nathan Thompson said...

Sounds like you've got some drama with your eldest daughter as well. A good friend of mine, who is very pious, pointed out that he read about a priest in a book entitled, I believe "The White Witch" that decided he was giving up on disapproving of things. In a sense, it's all related, we disapprove of things or people or we whine because they do not live up to our (false) expectations. Of course the ideal is to be content in all things, but I'm light years away from that.