Monday, September 1, 2008

Nostalgia hurts


It's nine o'clock and it's dark outside.
This is depressing.

A month ago it stayed dark until ten and the humid air stayed warm and heavy. Now I wear my robe in the mornings because it's chilly in the house. Fall is coming.

I'm not ready for summer to be over. I logged a lot of hours sitting in a lawn chair next to my neighbor, Gina. We watched the kids play in the unheated hot tub water and swing on the swings and put rocks in Tupperware. We took turns supplying popsicles and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We tried to think of something to make for dinner. I used up three bottles of
sunscreen .
Frankie got tan, despite SPF 50 and a hat. Her hair always smelled sweaty and there was a lot of sand in her bed.

Molly tasted handfuls of grass and wore black sunglasses that made her look like Stevie Wonder.
It was a good summer.
God has blessed me indeed.

No comments: