Sunday, November 30, 2008

Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Studying the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, I am reminded of God's great goodness, glory and grace. Though God literally guided them in the pillar of cloud and pillar of fire, then by His Angel, the Israelites wandered from obedience to the Law, oh, pretty much the day after it was given, by building the golden calf. How quickly we forget what God does for us and the debt of gratitude we owe Him. It reminded me of the lyrics to this hymn that I love:

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.

Robert Robertson, 1758

1 comment:

Teresa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.